Friday

You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day

Because it was 80 degrees and sunny today, and my sauerkraut was ready, Brian and I decided to cook "brats" on the grill. While we're not huge fans of "vegetables masquerading as meat", we do occasionally eat them--for several reasons. I'll admit it's nice sometimes, especially during large family functions, to just lay low and eat something that looks like what everyone else is eating. I get tired of the horrified looks on peoples faces when they realize I don't eat dairy or meat or eggs, and the questions we have to answer. And sometimes I miss the familiarity and comfort of the food I was raised on (my Dad was a brat loving man).

So tonight we grilled up some fake hot dogs and brats, along with my homemade sauerkraut and some onions. The sauerkraut smelled awful when I first opened the jar and all the gas escaped. And then it bubbled up a really pretty purplish pink for a minute. But once it settled down and I got my courage up to try it, it was delicious! Mixed with onions, grilled, and used to top my fake hot dog--it was the best.

So yay for Meghan and her blog. I think I'm going to try sprouting next, since Wheatsville didn't have my favorite sprouts this week.

Here is the sauerkraut and onions grilling:


And here is the rest of my yummy sauerkraut:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! So happy that it worked for you and you enjoyed it. Yes- that first puff of air can be discouraging but if you can get past that- it is all goodness.

Now you have me thinking of a healthy 'hot dog' or something like that. Will have to give that one some thought- but if and when it happens- the video will be dedicated to you!

Now... Happy sprouting!