Tuesday

Cooking and Quilting

This past weekend I went on a cooking binge. We have a new community right next to our neighborhood that is being built where the old airport used to be. This weekend they had a special farmers market, and Brian and I went and got some yummy fall vegetables. This inspired me to use up some of what we had lying around. I made caramelized squash from this recipe and some rice with tomatoes and pineapple in it.

We've just recently cleaned, seasoned and started using an old cast iron pan that belonged to Brian, and I've been trying to come up with a recipe where I can use it on both the stove top and the oven (because that's just part of the fun!). I ended up veganizing a recipe for something like a chili pie with cornbread on top. Just onions, red pepper, garlic, tomatoes and beans, with Brian's favorite cornbread recipe on top. It turned out fantastic.

Then Sunday morning, because I know how much Brian loves them, I made cinnamon rolls. They were eaten very quickly.

Though I've been fooling around on my own with patchwork and quilting, I decided that it would help me along if I took a class. So Sunday I went a took a quilting class at Craft-O-Rama in South Austin. I learned some things I didn't know, improved some of the things I had already figured out, and ended up with a pretty fall table runnner.

Now I'm all set to get working on Christmas presents for everyone.

No comments: